Friday, June 12, 2009

Balance

Today was epic.

I took a break from the city and went out to the Ein Gedi National Park, which is on the eastern edge of the Judean Desert and the shore of the Dead Sea. Because the Dead Sea is the lowest place on Earth, and the reserve has drastic differences in elevation, there are some extremely unique features. There are two valleys; I was in Wadi David in the north.

I hiked a few different trails that wound around the valley, and it was just the therapy my mind was screaming for. So since its in the middle of the desert (aka hot- I feel like it wouldn't have been so bad in significantly cooler weather) and I was hiking up the valley-with some parts rivaling Mt. Sinai's Steps of Repentance, although not the duration- (therefore tiring, in hot, sun-burning weather), all you focus on is the next step. And the next step. Oops, don't fall on that rock. Next step. Hand grab for balance. Next step. You don't think about anything else. It was perfect. So perfect. I was by myself, and once I got past David's Waterfall, I only ran into other people twice in passing. Moving your arms and legs in tango, regulating your breathing, wiping away the sweat. You, the next step, and the magnificence and breathtaking scenery around you.

I stopped at David's Waterall, Ein Geti Spring, Chalcholite Temple, and Dodim's Cave- I went about halfway up the valley before having to turn around to make sure I caught the last bus. Dodim's Cave was about at that halfway point, and was the best part- the trail took you down into the valley, and required a little bit of strategic falling and trail searching. You climbed down a ladder the park provided into a spring and cave, which looked at a spectacular view of the Dead Sea. I took a dip in the spring, drifted in some much needed cold water, explored the cave. I had the entire place to myself.

And thought about nothing. Not a thing. Not about frustrating emotions, deadlines, functioning and all that entails in Israel. I think, maybe, this is why I don't need to rationalize this kind of beauty and how it came to be. It just is, despite thousands of years of weathering, climate, humanity and our destructive tendencies (for example, the awful tourist vendors on the dead sea)- it has stood the test of time and will continue to, not because someone decided so. This is one thing that will continue to be long after us- and I find so much comfort in that, whether by divine intervention or not. Maybe this sentiment has something to do with all the crazies you meet here and the mortifying things you see from all sides, but I felt the same last summer- I'm a proactive individual, I like explanation, action stemming from concrete and systematic understanding, rationality, what can be achieved with determination and effort. But this part just needs to be left alone. I don't want an explanation of how it came to be. I just want to enjoy it for what it is. Probably, I think, the only times I'll ever feel this way, and be okay with it.

I heard this week the story of a Domari child murdered by a Palestinian because he was told to- and a Gypsy's life did not matter. Also, the scar on her brother's face, reaching from his upper cheek bone to his mouth, I've seen multiple times- attacked because he was a Gypsy.

A Palestinian family killed their son because they suspected him of being a 'collaborator' with the Israeli enemy.

On the way to Ein Gedi, on a bus of 60 people, there was one Arab. Two soldiers got on about halfway through the trip, and questioned and checked only one person out of 60. Felt so heavy, (1) knowing why they felt the need to check this one individual, (2) that they only checked this one individual, and (3) no one was phased.

On the way back, a tourist was asking me about what to see in the Old City, and I mentioned Damascus Gate. She looked uncomfortable, and said, 'isn't it, well, dangerous, because, you know?' (Damascus Gate is the central gate for the Arab quarter of the city). Happily covered in dust and dirt, scraped up, sunburt to the core, I just smiled and responded, 'different doesn't mean dangerous.' And let it go.

Pics are up; side bar.

1 comment:

  1. So I am just catching up, but your line, "You, the next step, and the magnificence and breathtaking scenery around you" is phenomenal. Love the description of your time away from the city in the Waterfall and elsewhere.

    The experience sounds amazing, and I cannot wait to hear you talk about it in person when we get back to school.

    ReplyDelete